Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 1998 19:00:19 +0200 (MDT)
From:      Matthias.Apitz@SOFTCON.de
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3c589D and pccard support in FreeBSD 2.2.5

Nate Williams wrote:

    > and 7 were attached via pccardd(8) to the card but with
    > slow network performance (ping delays of ~1.600 ms).

    It's probably not a mis-configured IRQ then.

Not sure -- see below.

    > I checked the same BIOS setup with the Linux boot diskette
    > and the Linux cardservice uses IRQ 3 for the 3C589D and
    > after running ifconfig(8) for the interface all was fine.

    No delays in Linux?

    This one has me stumped.  Mike?

    Nate

I started to debug the if_ep.c driver in the kernel. I have some
experience in kernel ports and will see what I can do. I already
found that the problem are the outbound IP pkgs. For every pkg
the routine if->watchdog gets called for a missing interupt.
So the problem isn't in user-land (e.g. routing or ARP or DNS),
it's in kernel-land. Is there someone who is "in charge" for
that driver code or someone who can offer the internal programmers
manual for that card (3C589D)? Thx.

Mostly I'm working for UNIX SVR4.x system software w/o the kernel
source -- it's nice to have the source of FreeBSD.

	matthias
--
firm: matthias.apitz@sisis.de [voc:+49-89-61308-351, fax: +49-89-61308-188]
priv: guru@thias.muc.de

from USENET:
People who run servers understand that flashy interactive interfaces have
nothing to do with the underlying functionality and often get in the way.