Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 1995 17:14:55 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        davidg@root.com, dennis@etinc.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shutdown Procedure

>I noticed that if_ed.c calls ed_registerdev() at the beginning of the probe
>routine rather than after if_attach() as in previous releases and as some
>other drivers do. I've also noticed that the device is in the table even if
>it is disabled. What is the reason for the change?

So that devices are registered even if they aren't configured.  Perhaps
there should be more states to distinguish probed nonexistent devices
from probed existent ones and attached devices from unattached ones;
currently all probed existent devices are attached so there would be
no devices in the new states.

>Who/what uses the kdc_state information, and what is the impact of a device
>being IDLE or BUSY?

Currently, mainly lsdev.  Users looking at lsdev output would be
confused if the device state is reported incorrectly.

Bruce