Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 12:23:57 +0100
From:      Jeff.Kelly@t-online.de (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Christian_Fl=FCgel?=)
To:        "Dillion Klein" <dillionklein@hotpop.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NTFS w/ FreeBSD dual boot

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dillion Klein" <dillionklein@hotpop.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2002 4:48 AM
Subject: NTFS w/ FreeBSD dual boot

> I am wondering what the best procedure is to dual boot FreeBSD 4.4R
> and Windows 2000.

Hey I did this only a few hours ago, hope I can help.

> -Starting with an empty 40GB drive, install Win2K first (must be NTFS)
> on a primary partition (4GB C:).
>
> -Create an extended partition of 5GB for my NTFS data, which would
> have one logical drive D: of the 5GB's
>
> -Install FreeBSD and setup 6GB's for it. How can I be sure that I
> do not overwrite any data on the NTFS partitions?

You have to create another primary partition for FreeBSD it won't install on
a logical drive in an extended partition.

So choose standard installation and when you get to the creation of the
slices choose the free space which is left and just create one.

Do not install the freeBSD BootManager though! When prompted just select do
not install.

Create partitions inside your freebsd slice and finish installation.

Next time you boot your system FreeBSD will start automatically because the
FreeBSD slice is marked active. (So do not worry no win2k Data is lost.

go to the /boot directory and copy the file boot1 onto a disk (Select boot1
and not boot0 !!!). Start fdisk with the option -a to set the active
partition to the win2k partition.

Boot win2k rename boot1 to Bootsect.bsd and copy the file to c:\ then edit
the file boot.ini. (It is a write-protected and hidden file)
It holds the setings for the Win2k Bootmanager.
Add the line C:\Bootsect.bsd="FreeBSD" and you are finished.

Next Time you start your system you can choose between starting FreeBSD and
Win2k

Regards

Christian