Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 1998 21:02:53 -0400
From:      Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
To:        Craig Spannring <cts@internetcds.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using FreeBSD for data acquisition? (long)

I manufacture a coordinate measuring machine that measures jet engine
rotor and stator radii.  I collects 16 bytes of data at 200 HZ when
scanning.  I havn't had any *major* problems, but it took some careful
design.  The motion control and all emergency condition processing is
done in the kernel.  The system doesn't (typically) do disk access when
scanning, and all heavy computations are done when the system isn't
moving or scanning.  It does manage to maintain an X display with a
10 Hz update frequency.

I've used proprietary RTOSes for projects like this in the past,
and I prefer FreeBSD because of the source code access and the
ability of readily ported data-reduction and display tools, etc...