Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:29:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:    3rd party binary modules

I'm working for a company that distributes drivers for its network
interconnect boards.  We currently distribute all our drivers in
source form.  As a convenience to our customers, we also distribute
binary drivers for many platforms.  I'd like to package a binary
module for FreeBSD.

While I realize that the ABI is stable thoughout the RELENG_4 branch,
I'm not familiar with the correct way to build a driver for generic
binary distribution.   If I build the driver as part of a normal
GENERIC kernel build procedure, should I expect it to work in, say,
SMP environments?

This is a network driver which does ethernet emulation, as well as
os-bypass networking using an mmaped cdev & a few ioctls.  Its not
doing any locking (aside from spls) and its not installing any system
calls.

Thanks,

Drew