Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 13:44:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: g++ pkg_add gcc-2.8.1.tgz

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Ken Seggerman wrote:

> Greeetings:
>
> I am running FreeBSD 2.2.5 and have gcc 2.7.2.1 from the cdrom
> installation.
>
> What I want is the new C++ features in gcc 2.8.1 and would prefer to do
> a pkg_add, because I am new at this.

Well, you're in luck, there is a 2.8.1 package:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/packages/lang/gcc28.tar.gz

> I take it I need to download gcc-2.8.1.tgz and glibstdc++-2.8.1-tgz.
> Do I also need a new gcl 2.2.2? I don't seem to have it now.

The gcc package just requires gmake, according to the INDEX.

GCL is GNU Common Lisp, which has nothing to do with gcc, the GNU C
Compiler.

> Anyway, should I pkg_delete gcc 2.7.2.1 to prevent a big mess?
> And how about the existing C++ library?

You can't pkg_delete 2.7, it comes with the bin distribution.

> I am approaching this with extreme caution as need the compiler for school
> and messing this up could also affect my ability to make ports.

It'll mess up your ability to make kernels and other system bits too. :)

You do want to get glibstc++ if you are doing C++ work.  It builds on to
gcc, so install gcc first, then glibstc++.