Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 15:21:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        p.baldwin@odyssey.on.ca
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation Prob.

It would help to split your messages into smaller paragraphs and to have a
regular ASCII username.

On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, you wrote:

> ok, heres the deal: I am running DOS 6.20 and Win 3.1 on my c:\ and i have a
> blank slave (d:\), my CD-ROM used to be D:\, but when i installed my slave,
> my CD-ROM became g:\, cause of stacker etc. I d/l all the files i need to
> install freebsd. /bin /des /dict /manpages /info /doc. i have but these as
> subdirs in my freebsd dir. c:\freebsd\<dirname>, I started to install
> FreeBSD, i went through all the stuff, and set it up fine, I chose the "DOS
> Partition" media, or soemthing similar to that, it was "dos <something>" and
> continued on my way. It began setting everything up fine, until i guess,
> close to the end, and finally said: "the following errors existed in your
> installation" then said, "can't find the following dirs" /bin /des /manpages
> /doc, i think thats the dirs that it couldn't find...anyway, do you know why
> it can't find the dirs???

. Did you also copy the *.inf files to the proper directories?
. Were there any errors?  Check the debug console by pressing ALT-F2.

> Oh ya, now i can't access the slave in dos, and it doesn't show up anywhere,
> and now when i type a cmd in DOS, it tries to read of the CD!! crazy eh?

I don't know.  You shouldn't be able to access the slave since it's no
longer a DOS parttion, it belongs to FreeBSD now.

Have you tried getting your CDROM working with FreeBSD?  The default
boot.flp does support ATAPI CDROMs.  Try moving your CD to the slave
position on the primary controller if the boot isn't finding it.