Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2000 14:01:14 +0100 (MET)
From:      Dick van den Burg <Dick.vandenBurg@geis.ge.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   NCR and SUN disk

I am trying to install FreeBSD 3.3 on a HP Kayak XA with a Symbios
Logic PCI (SYM53C875) controller. There is a Quantum Viking 4..5 W880R
disk that is recognized without problems. When I attach another
external disk 'SEAGATE ST19171W SUN0766' from SUN I get the following
errors:

Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
ncro:1: ERROR (0:11) (9-ae-0) (f/9d) @ (script 6bc:19000000).
ncr0: script cmd = 89030000
ncr0: regdump: da 10 80 9d 47 0f 01 0f 03 09 81 ae 80 00 0e 00.
ncr0: have to clear fifos.
ncr0: restart (fatal error).
(probe:ncr0:0:0:3) COMMAND FAILED (9 ff) @0xc0cfca00.
(probe:ncr0:0:1:1) COMMAND FAILED (9 ff) @0xc0cfa200.
ncr0: timeout nccb=0x0cfxa00 (skip)
ncr0: timeout nccb=0xocfa200 (skip)

I checked the termination on the external disk: It should be
auto-terminating, but even with an active terminator the error
persists.

I tried another cable.
I turned of SCAM recognition and queue tagging.
I tried the 3.4 floppies.

The internal disc is UW (40mbs), the external is 8 bit (20mbs)

Neither NT not Linux have problems with this setup.

There must be something basically wrong in my setup, because even an
old 2.2.5 FreeBSD gave similar errors.

Is there anything in the error messages that would point to something
I should check?

Thanks

Dick