Date:      Tue, 7 Jul 1998 20:26:43 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Tomas Sommar <tsommar@hem1.passagen.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about freeBSD

Hi,

> Hey, im about to buy linux and install it on my computer, i only have a
> few questioins. I dont really know if im going to buy RedHat Linux or
> FreeBSD.

First - FreeBSD is not Linux.  I won't go into the vast history - you can
find this in the mail list archives if you care.

> Does FreeBSD support Ultra ATA hardrives?

I believe so yes.

> Does it Support Soundblaster 64?

Not sure.
> Does it support Matrox Millenuim2?
> Does it Have a X-Window system, and is it possible to run win95 apps on
> FreeBSD?

FreeBSD will run in console mode w/ any VGA or better card.  The only
thing you have to worry about is whether X (yes we have XFree86 just like
the various Linux flavors and you can also buy a commercial copy if you
like).  I am pretty sure that the Millenium 2 will run under the SVGA
server and I believe there is also support for it from SuSE.

It is possible to run some win95 apps using an emulator.  However, and
this is true in Linux as well, the emulators are not perfect and you might
have some troubles running all of your apps.  You're better off, if you
need some specific Windows apps, to leave a Windows partition on you hard
drive and put FreeBSD on another partition.  The FAQ and installation
guide will tell you how to do this.

Brett