Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 2010 15:34:58 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        erik@cederstrand.dk (Erik Cederstrand)
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Schedule for releases

Erik Cederstrand wrote:
 > Den 22/12/2010 kl. 09.52 skrev Oliver Fromme:
 >
 > > For me, personally, one significant problem is that I don't
 > > have the resources to easily run several versions of FreeBSD
 > > at home.
 >
 > Wouldn't a jail be sufficient for work that stays in userland?
 > For kernel work, I think a virtual machine would be much easier
 > than dual-boot.

Well, it depends.  In this thread, device drivers were
mentioned in particular.  You can't test those in jails
or in virtual machines.

For example, I would like to merge r210819 to stable/8
(it will have to wait until after the freeze, of course).
But I can't easily test it on stable/7 because it's
hardware-related.  So I won't merge it to stable/7.

Best regards
   Oliver

"And believe me, as a C++ programmer, I don't hesitate to question
the decisions of language designers.  After a decent amount of C++
exposure, Python's flaws seem ridiculously small." -- Ville Vainio