Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 2013 14:55:09 +0000
From:      "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Zenny <garbytrash@gmail.com>
Cc:        Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from FreeBSD10-B3 to FreeBSD10-RC1 borked

On Dec 13, 2013, at 4:53 AM, Zenny wrote:

> Followed the instructions here:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html
>=20
> The upgrade borked.
>=20
> Error message: Can't find 'kernel'
>=20
> When I checked with ls /boot/kernel/, the directory does exist.
>=20
> :-(
>=20
> Since the system has encrypted root partion with ZFSonROOT, I tried to
> follow instructions at
> https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?&t=3D8958 to boot with a livecd
> and went to the shell prompt and tried to import the zroot pool with
> 'zpool import -f zroot' but it says no such pool is available.
>=20
> How to fix it? Any hint? Thanks!

Before you can import the zroot you have to:

1. Import the bootpool (which requires changing of the mountpoint in the
LiveCD environment)

2. Do a "geli attach" with the (a) the key that is stored on the bootpool a=
nd
(b) the passphrase that you set.

After that, you'll see the zroot pool.

Here's the step-by-step:

Step 1. Boot into LiveCD

Step 2. Execute the following commands...
	mkdir /tmp/bootpool
	zpool import bootpool
	zfs set mountpoint=3D/tmp/bootpool bootpool
	zfs mount -a
	cp /tmp/bootpool/boot/encryption.key /tmp/
	zfs umount -a
	zfs set mountpoint=3D/bootpool bootpool
	zfs export bootpool
	geli attach -k /tmp/encryption.key /dev/ada0p3
	# NB: Substitute ada0p3 for proper disk
	# NB: Repeat for each disk in the zroot pool
	zpool import

At this point, the final "zpool import" shows the zroot.

I've found several things that needed fixing in the RC1...
Pending MFC's to releng/10.0:

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=3Drevision&revision=3D258927
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=3Drevision&revision=3D259144
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=3Drevision&revision=3D259148

Will be submitted shortly -- in addition I have a few more coming.
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.