Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 18:27:46 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI chain problems (probably me)

> > The back of the tower is a SCSI-1 connector and a SCSI-1--to--SCSI-2 cable
>
> Can't answer your question, but the above is meaningless.  The SCSI-2
> spec allows all types of external cable connectors.  So a "SCSI-2" cable
> doesn't say much.  The only connector I haven't seen in use on a "scsi-2"
> device is the old DB-50 (three rows of pins, total of 50).

Don't you know that when you say something like that, somebody like me
is going to come out of the woodwork?

I removed the internal SCSI harness from an external Exabyte 8500C a
while back and replaced it with what's commonly called "SCSI-2"
connectors and harness. What I removed was exactly the 3-row DB-50
connector you describe. And don't you *know* it came off a Sun 4/470?

I recycled the DB-50 connectors by putting them to use connecting (8)
8" IPI drives to an SGI Crimson. 19.5G and lots of heat!

Digging thru our SCSI cable box the other day I found external cables
with that DB-50 on one end and "SCSI-2" on the other. And found another
with a modern 68-pin SCSI connector on the other end. Naturally I
couldn't find the cable I was looking for.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net