Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2012 12:13:36 -0700
From:      Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
To:        Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: switching from i386 to amd64

On 12/16/12 04:00, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> I have been using i386 (-STABLE) for years now and was wondering if
> switching to amd64 finally makes sense (i.e. are enough ports working
> on it now [xfrce4, firefox, libreoffice, openjdk-6, tomcat, mysql,
> apache22, flash, cups, devel/aegis, devel/cook, devel/fhist,
> virtualbox-ose, nvidia-kmod are the minimal ones I need]) the main
> reason for asking is PAE seems to be broken now and virtualbox-ose
> refuses to let me install 64 bit OS's like Win 8.

I've been using 9.0 release for about six months.
xfce, firefox, thunderbird, openoffice 3.4.1, jdk (most was done prior
to moving to fbsd 9.0, will be doing more) mysql, nvidia driver.

had trouble using html5 from youtube -- caused weird transparent
rendering issues, had to disable it.

minor problems with oo which are probably generic.  (Infinite loop when
page had 20-40 images to run text around; not repeatable, but happens
fairly frequently; scrolling causes refresh which temporarily fixes the
problem).

On 12/16/12 07:08, Polytropon wrote:

> And if you're using Firefox, there are plugins available that
> allow you to download video content instead of dealing with the
> "Flash" player the site wants you to use.

and the recommended one is?

>  Sometimes I wish it wouldn't work anymore.
> It makes the web much more readable. :-)

amen