Date:      Mon, 26 May 2014 03:07:49 -0700
From:      Lucius Rizzo <Lucius.Rizzo@The.ie>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is your favourite/best firewall on FreeBSD and why?

--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/

* Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com> [2014-05-24 12:12]:
> On 5/20/2014 12:09 AM, Lucius Rizzo wrote:
> > I have been looking into articles comparing firewalls that come with
> > FreeBSD. There isn't much recent info on the net. I am currently using
> > FreeBSD 10 with IPFilter.
> >
> > Firewalls are like MTA servers I find. Each person has their own
> > proclivities. I happened to have started with IPFilter with Solaris and
> > throughout Solaris years. Lately, on my Linux servers, I end up running
> > ufw as lazy man's iptables cli frontend which is easy enough.
> >
> > Ultimately, outside configuration differences all firewalls are essenti=
ally
> > serve the same purpose but I wonder what is your favorite and why? If
> > you were to run FreeBSD in production, which of the three would you
> > choose? IPFilter, PF or IPFW?
>=20
> I use ipfw on servers and end devices when I need a mitigation-oriented=20
> firewall.  It makes simple work of putting up notch filters, but its=20
> syntax gets a bit ugly if you're doing up a router configuration.
>=20
> I build routers from pf on OpenBSD and Intel hardware.  $1k of PC and I=20
> can shove gigabits through full BGP tables and big sets of ACLs all day=20
> long.  Something comparable from Cisco would have a five- or six-digit=20
> price tag and leave you unsatisfied.  For lighter workloads, Ubiquiti's=20
> EdgeRouter family is lovely and it gets you the benefit of a well-known=20
> interface if you're handing off the admin hat.  I abandon FreeBSD in=20
> this use case--ipfw syntax isn't clean enough and pf's IPv6 support is=20
> broken.
>=20
> I haven't touched ipf in over a decade and don't miss it at all.

Does anyone know what happened to Darren Reed from ipfilter? Last,
I checked he had moved to Asia and was working under the Oracle
umbrella...

IPFilter page is now a redirect to ANU's main site. Pity.

--=20

|     _o    _ |_)o_ _  _=20=20
++ Success is relative: It is what we can make of the mess we have ++
++ made of things. ++
++               		-- T. S. Eliot, "The Family Reunion" ++

--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/

--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/--