Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 17:16:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux software installation and uname

On 12 Nov 1998, Joel Ray Holveck wrote:

> >> Not unless you have a complete minimal tree under /compat/linux.
> > Someone asked for a solution that didn't require corrupting the base
> > FreeBSD installation or source tree with compatability issues.  I am well
> > aware of the technical necessities of a chrooted environment, but it does
> > give you a clean way to handle special cases like this.
>
> If we assume a complete minimal tree under /compat/linux, then it
> follows that there exists a /compat/linux/bin/uname.  Adding it to the
> $PATH before running the install script is sufficient.  (This would
> replace the chroot step, so considerations about r/o media do not
> create a distinction between these proposals.)  Therefore, it seems
> that the requirements for my proposal are a subset of the requirements
> of yours.  If you do a lot of Linux work, then having a complete
> /compat/linux is probably a good thing.  Personally, I don't, so I
> would prefer to only add a uname.

simple solution:

If you want linux emulation, then download a minimal linux dist and
install it.  Perhaps a package could be made for "large emulation" ie,
many of the basic linux binaries installed into /compat/linux instead of
just the libs and a few key programs.

Then chroot would definetly work...

Alfred Perlstein - Programmer, HotJobs Inc. - www.hotjobs.com
-- There are operating systems, and then there's FreeBSD.
-- http://www.freebsd.org/                        3.0-current