Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 14:27:15 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steveroo@mothra.bri.hp.com>
To:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.2REL, 34Gb IDE + AMD K7

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:
> I might suggest using FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT if that's not a production Box.
> It has a new ATA driver that might work. you may want to repost the
> original message and ask if there are known problems, I would've thought
> that if you got BIOS to use it properly, FreeBSD would've gotten it to
> work too. This is a dmesg output for my computer to show you what the ata
> driver detects as:

I think this is what I'll do, need to get hold of a snapshot cd ideally though
because I've only got a cruddy modem, and even cvsup will take a while.

> That's the full output from a dmesg.

Looks similar to mine, I'm just suffering somewhere in one of the translation
stages I beleive.

> If you think this driver would help you, go ahead and upgrade to -CURRENT,
> but be careful, this driver is beta. I'm also not sure that the wdc driver
> knows about your harddrive controller, I don't think anyone has done
> anything for the chip that AMD supplies with the K7 yet.

If this looks good (I'll check out the cvs repos.) then I'll cvsup 3.3 and try
mangling the new driver back in that at some point, for the meantime I think
I'm going to stick with only the first 32GB available to FreeBSD. (even if
that's not really the problem, it's when I try to use >32GB under FreeBSD that
things go nasty.)

As far as specific K7 support in FreeBSD, it works fine, a make world taking 47
minutes with a GENERIC kernel. (3.2 with -O -pipe). Don't know if I should
expect more or less though.. (not really bothered, it's quick enough!)

I might put a couple of lines into sys/i386/i386/identcpu, so that it's at
least detected properly, and maybe see if I can check that cacheing etc. is
being done properly, but I think that the K7 really needs to be treated more
differently than a PPro (standard 686 class) to utilise it's features properly.

Thanks for all your help and advice,

	Steve