Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 2000 22:38:45 -0500
From:      Timothy Legant <thl@catseye.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Perl Doesn't like XFree-4.0.1

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 11:57:45PM -0500, Ryan Losh wrote:
[snip...]
> I tested that (.xinitrc with *ONLY* a gnome-terminal), and again, I
> don't see the LC_CTYPE var getting set.
>
> I took it one step further:  I did a startx with the following
> .xinitrc:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> ktrace gnome-session
>
> I looked for "en_US" in *EVERY* file that gets opened during a startx,
> and I discovered that "LC_CTYPE" and "en_US" are *HARDCODED* into the
> libgnomeui.so.4 file/shared library.  I would say without reservation
> that "THIS is where the LC_CTYPE is being set."  Therefore, I need to
> read the FreeBSD handbook and see how one goes about reporting a bug
> in the ports (gnomelibs-1.2.4, to be exact).  I am not an expert, but
> I don't think that hardcoding this value in a shared library is "The
> Right Way To Get The Job Done (TM)"

I haven't looked at the GNOME source, so I can't speak to whether
they're hard-coding anything or not. However, whatever they're doing,
they seem to do *only* if you haven't explicitly set the i18n stuff in
your environment.

I had the same problem - practically every app running under
GNOME/XFree86 4.0.1/FreeBSD 4.1-S hollered about the locale. I finally
found the i18n section in the handbook (where else!), read it carefully
and opted for the preferred method of setting these variables, through
the login class.

I created an "american" class in /etc/login.conf (there is an example
"russian" class) and set my users' class (in master.passwd, using vipw)
to "american" (no quotes). I haven't seen the error message since. My
"american" class looks like this:

#
# American Users Accounts. Setup proper environment variables
#
american:American English Users:\
        :charset=ISO-8859-1:\
        :lang=en_US.ISO_8859-1:\
        :tc=default:

Note that, according to the handbook and bolstered by my experience, all
you need to set are the "charset" and "lang" variables.

> Ryan
> rklosh@rkl.org

Hope this is of some help.

Tim