Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 2010 07:24:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mark Terribile <materribile@yahoo.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Burning CDs on FreeBSD 7.2

=0APolytropon,=0A=0A> > I'm using the atapicam/cdrecord solution.=A0 But=0A=
> > when I do a dd read to verify the write, the=0A> > read ends on an I/O =
error rather=0A> > than an EOF.=A0 (I'm not sure that this problem is=0A> >=
 new.)=A0 ...=A0 There are plenty of console=0A> > messages, including READ=
_BIG retrying, READ_BIG timed=0A> > out, TEST_UNIT_READY freeing zombie tas=
kqueue request,=0A> > and PREVENT_ALLOW taskqueue timeout - compiing reques=
t=0A> > directly . =0A=0A> I start wondering if this may be due to a defect=
ive drive,=0A> or wrong cable, or even through DMA incompatibilites...=0A=
=0AI tried taking the drive out of the 5.4 machine.  No difference.=0A=0AAl=
so, the ATAPICAM subsystem gets into a state where the eject=0Aprogram will=
 report "drive busy" but cdrecord can still operate=0Athe drive.  I think t=
hat in doing whatever was needed to=0Aaccomodate DVDs, the subsystem was br=
oken.  It looks like cdrecord=0Amanages to work around it.=0A=0A> Instead o=
f using dd (have you made sure to use the correct=0A> block size?) try usin=
g readcd (comes with cdrecord); see=0A> "man cdrecord" for details and exam=
ples.=0A=0AI'll try it.  I am using the correct block size, and the data=0A=
retrieved cmp's correctly against the iso fs image used to=0Acreate the dis=
k.  dd was means for exactly such purposes, and if=0Ait can't work, the OS =
is doing a bad job.=0A=0A> > This is definitely NOT reliable enough to put =
into a=0A> script=0A> > (which would make handling the many file names more=
=0A> reliable).=0A=0AUnder 5.4 I did this by script routinely.=0A=0AQuestio=
n is, under which category do I report this?=0A=0A    Mark Terribile=0A=0A=
=0A