Date:      Sat, 8 Sep 2001 17:20:47 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>, Brent Verner <brent@rcfile.org>, <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Junior Kernel Hacker task: improve vnode->v_tag

On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Chris Costello wrote:

> On Saturday, September 08, 2001, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> > No actually not, I want something short and predictable like
> > "VT_CODA".
>
>    How about my second suggestion: making v_tag point to
> mp->mnt_stat.f_fstypename, or a copy thereof?

Good, but I as far as I understand this, the only legitimate point of
v_tag is to tell applications like fstat(1) the type of the vnode.
fstat can find chase the kernel pointers in
vp->v_mount->mnt_stat->f_fstypename almost as (un)easily as it could
chase vp->v_tag if v_tag is a pointer.  Copying the string would give
ugly bloat, but would not be all that much worse than the bloat for a
pointer on alphas (the contents of the string "VT_CODA" takes the same
space as a pointer on alphas).

Bruce