Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 2010 19:49:08 +0000
From:      freebsd-ports@coreland.ath.cx
To:        "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        karel@lovetemple.net, mm@FreeBSD.org, joerg@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, eischen@vigrid.com
Subject:   Re: Maintaining compiler front-ends (Re: The state of Ada)

On 2010-01-08 14:37:37, Mikhail T. wrote:
> I remain convinced, that the "bending into shape" ought to begin with
> making the additional GNU compiler front-ends (be they Ada, or Lisp,
> Java, Fortran, Pascal, Objective C, etc.) addable to an already existing
> C-compiler.

That's the plan!

The lang/gnat-gcc44 currently has a problem in that anything that uses
Ada.Numerics.* will quietly depend on liblapack.so at compile time. In
order to compile liblapack, you need a recent GCC with fortran support...

The idea is now for the lang/gnat-gcc44 port to install itself into the
files installed by the existing lang/gcc44 port. I hope to work on this
soon (getting USE_GNAT in and unbreaking all the existing ports is currently
of higher priority).