Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 2003 13:05:47 -0800
From:      Mark Edwards <mark@antsclimbtree.com>
To:        sheldonh@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: exim-4.12_1

Since you are now configuring the exim port for IPv6 support by default,
I thought I'd share a problem I encountered when updating to the current
port.  The configure.default file sets:

  hostlist   relay_from_hosts = 127.0.0.1

which is to allow local processes to relay mail.  If a process is
IPv6-enabled, it may attempt to communicate as ::1 (IPv6 localhost) and
receive a "relay denied".  One such port that does this by default is
/usr/ports/mail/mailman

There are several possible solutions to this issue, which I worked out
with the help of the exim-users mailing list, but the one that was the
best for me was to add

  local_interfaces = 0.0.0.0

to my /usr/local/etc/exim/configure file, which causes exim to only
listen to IPv4 requests.

Another possibility is to set

  hostlist   relay_from_hosts = 127.0.0.1 : ::1

which tells exim to allow relaying from both IPv4 and IPv6 localhost.

It is probably a good idea to include a quick note in the port
documentation describing this potential issue, and these workarounds.
After I upgraded I had everything work except my mailman configuration,
which was pretty confusing at first.

Thanks!

--
Mark Edwards