Date:      19 Feb 2003 19:53:28 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Franz Klammer <klammer@webonaut.com>
Cc:        "Mezz bsdforums.org" <reigncracks@hotmail.com>, FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: fontconfig/fc-cache: i really think i'm too stupid for this!

--=-pN3Jo1RFHLILXJ8xy4fK

On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 19:47, Franz Klammer wrote:
> the problem was that i have written all my paths into
> /usr/X11R6/fonts/local.conf - exact the same paths as i
> have in my /etc/X11/XF86Config,.
>=20
> the installation of the vera-fonts has overwritten my=20
> local.conf.  with the result that all my fonts are disappeared.
> also i think that write the font-paths into fonts.conf could be=20
> a possible further problem, because after a portupgrade -f fontconfig=20
> the file will be replaced with the version from the port.
> again the fonts are disappear.

I should probably install vera's local.conf to local.conf-vera or
something.  I forgot you used local.conf by default ;-).

>=20
> ok, if i must write _every_ path into a config-file (right?) then i=20
> will create a extra fontpath.conf that i will include into fonts.conf.
> if fonts|local.conf will be replaced, then i can easily include them
> again.

No!  All you need is the root path in fonts.conf (e.g.
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts).  fontconfig recursively scans that directory
for fonts.  If you have fonts outside of that tree, then, yes, you will
need to add those paths to fonts.conf.

>=20
> i'm wondering why fontconfig needs and special config-file for=20
> the paths and didn't take the paths direct from XF86Config.
> didn't make a exclude list more sense, because it's mostly empty?
>=20
> but the _main_problem_ was that i thought i always did something wrong
> and it is not normal to write all paths into fonts|local.conf and
> fontconfig finds the fonts recursively from the base directories
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts and ~/.fonts.

Yes, correct.  You do not need to explicitly add paths to fonts.conf or
~/.fonts.conf.

Joe

>=20
> thanks!
>=20
> franz.
>=20
>=20
> Am Do, 2003-02-20 um 01.03 schrieb Mezz bsdforums.org:
> > What do I do to add fonts? I usually do this at first thing when I inst=
all=20
> > stuff by stratch:
> >=20
> > 1) Check /usr/X11R6/etc/fonts/font.conf for the paths and you can even =
add=20
> > more paths.
> > 2) If font.conf has ~/.fonts (should be there by default), then I add=20
> > /usr/home/mezz/.fonts in the /etc/X11/XF86Config.
> >=20
> > After all, I have to do are add fonts in the ~/.fonts without have to=20
> > restart Gnome, because Fontconfig will recoginze the add/change by=20
> > automatic. But, will need to update fonts.dir and fonts.scale. But, wil=
l=20
> > need to restart X thought, when I have the apps that aren't use=20
> > Xft2/Fontconfig like Opera7 and etc.
> >=20
> > Cheers,
> > Mezz