Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 12:48:07 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Makoto MATSUSHITA <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/release Makefile

> However, this commit maybe assumes that if somebody want to do "make
> release" of 5-current with 4-stable of /usr/src (oops, I have a
> mistake in previous mail).

That won't work for a number of other reasons and is *strongly
discouraged*.  You should always do a "make release" from a host
machine which is running the same major revision level of the OS
release you're trying to generate.  If you don't, you'll run into any
number of problems, one being an initial chroot environment which is
"polluted" with binaries which have changed locations or don't exist
in the target build and another being bogus syscall mapping if kernel
interfaces have changed.  I've seen both occur and can only say
"you're on your own" if you try something like this.  This patch
should NOT go in with that as a justification!

- Jordan