Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2002 11:21:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        imp@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCcard whine issued during "halt -p" processing

Afetr building, booting, and doing some reality checks with today's
-CURRENT on my laptop, I issued the command sequence

	sudo boot0cfg -s 1 ad0 && sudo halt -p

in order to prepare it to (default to) boot from slice 1 (which has
today's -STABLE on it) and power the machine off (the latter in order
to be able to use a NIC in a PCCard form factor under -STABLE after
having run a NEWCARD-based -CURRENT).

Historically, sometimes this has worked (as in, the machine powers off
OK by itself); other times it spits out a message

The operating system has halted.
Please press any key to reboot.

at which point the "key" that I press is the power switch.  :-}

This time, however, what I saw (hand-transcribed) is:

syncing disks... 2 2
done
Uptime: 3m34s
pccbb1: bad Vcc request.  ctrl=0x0, status=0x30000719
pccbb_power: CARD_VCC_0V and CARD_VPP_0V [44]

The operating system has halted.
Please press any key to reboot.

and the pccbb*-related messages struck me as something I wasn't really
expecting.

In looking through the sources, the "bad Vcc request" message comes from
src/sys/dev/pccbb/pccbb.c:1129; the version of that file that I have is:

$FreeBSD: src/sys/dev/pccbb/pccbb.c,v 1.41 2002/02/20 16:20:27 imp Exp $

but since it hasn't been updated in a while, I don't see how that would
make a significant contribution to determining what happened (bearing in
mind that I'm tracking -CURRENT daily).

I see that Warner had a commit Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:02:08 -0800 (PST) to
src/sys/pccard/{pccard.c,pcic.c} with the relevant-seeming comment
"Better power code and better power diagnostics" -- but I didn't see the
message Thursday or Friday (when I did the same procedure).

I don't see any problems ascribable to whatever triggered the message,
but I thought I'd mention it in case it indicates a problem....

Cheers,
david
I believe it would be irresponsible (and thus, unethical) for me to advise,
recommend, or support the use of any product that is or depends on any
Microsoft product for any purpose other than personal amusement.