Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 12:17:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Rudi Opperman <rudi@askas.co.za>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: help with cron and crontab mail messages

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Rudi Opperman wrote:

> hi
>
> I am trying to limit the messages that crontab sends to a user about
> jobs run under cron.  The situation is :
> I am trying to customise cron to run some afterhours tasks.  It seems
> that you just add the tasks in the specified users crontab file and load
> it.  This is quite simple and works well.  However these jobs need to
> run as root.  I checked root's loaded crontab and it was empty - so i
> added to jobs to /etc/crontab and loaded it.  I then recieved mail every
> five minutes from
>
> 	*/5     *       *       *       *       root    /usr/libexec/atrun

Did you read the messages? I bet you're getting messages like:

root: not found

If you installed this as root's user crontab using 'crontab -u root file',
then you wiffed the syntax.  Take the user argument out; of COURSE you
want to run them as root!

/etc/crontab and the root user's crontab are different!

Doug White