Date:      Tue, 9 May 2000 15:41:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
To:        Theo PAGTZIS <T.Pagtzis@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   WaveLAN in 3.4R

On Tue, 9 May 2000, Theo PAGTZIS wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 9 May 2000, Theo PAGTZIS wrote:
> >

> > > Hi All/Bill,
> > >

> > > I am running Freebsd 3.4 + PAO and have the following problem
> > >
> > > when I try to get the statistics from the wi0 (wavelanII) interface, the interface keeps returning 0 for all values. Is that broken in 3.4 ??
> > > I have the impression that I have seen it working in previous versions.... Has anyone managed to get statistics out of the wavelan (wi0) interface..??
> > >
> > > If yes would it be possible to tell me how?
> >
> > I got it working although it took a while.  I found a note in the mail
> > archives about using a separate file to configure the interface with
> > wiconfig.  Don't have the info handy but will later today.  I know I had
> > to make sure it was configured on the same interrupt as it was in windoze.
> > After I did that it started reporting.
>
> Never heard that wiconfig before....I thought it was wicontrol.....is that a new config utility... for wavelan??
>

> I would appreciate I you can get that file as soon as you can...

You are correct, it's wicontrol.

I have a small script that set up the card called /etc/setup_wi:

------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

cmd="wicontrol -i wi0"

$cmd -s "hostname"
$cmd -p 1
$cmd -n "WaveLAN Network"

------------------------------

Then for the Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE entry in pccard.conf:

card "Lucent Technologies" "WaveLAN/IEEE"
	config default "wi0" IRQ
	insert logger -s Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE inserted
	insert /etc/setup_wi
	insert /etc/pccard_ether wi0 IPADDRESS netmask NETMASK
	insert /etc/ifc
	remove logger -s Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE removed
	remove /etc/pccard_ether_remove wi0 delete IPADDRESS

And finally /etc/ifc:

ifconfig wi0 down
ifconfig wi0 inet IPADDRESS netmask NETMASK up

Replace hostname with your hostname
The "WaveLAN Network" above must match your access point's network name
Replace IRQ above with the cards IRQ
Replace IPADDRESS everywhere above with your IP Address
Replace NETMASK everywhere above with your netmask

That should be everything.  The default route and hostname are still
set in /etc/rc.conf.

Good Luck!!

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking