Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 08:03:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Val Kilmer <malaclypse@diogenes.ionet.net>
To:        Reinoud Koornstra <Reinoud.Koornstra@ibbnet.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: awe 64 problems............

The following took me three weeks of cigarettes, coffee, and denting a
wall with my head to finally arrive at.

I, too, have a SB AWE 64, and here's what I did to get it working just
like a breeze on a straight out of the box install of 3.2, having only
added some network config that doesn't remotely relate:

First, remove all these other configurations for sound. Anything and
everything. Scripts, kernel.conf adds, everything.

Next, add to your kernel:
controller	pnp0
device		pcm0	at isa? port? tty drq 1 irq 5 flags 0x15

This will, as the PNP config files and the Handbook dictate, config the
SB, let it know there's another DRQ, and run with it. Remove all other
references. Now, I don't know how well this will do with MIDI, if it will
even do MIDI at all. All other audio works like butter.
The LINT explains that having all that 'sb*' stuff will cause conflicts;
basically, pick which SB 'flavor' you have and go. Remove anything else,
as conflicts will occur, and that's a Bad Thing.

Now the /dev:
After you compile the new kernel, before you actually boot to it, do a 'sh
MAKEDEV snd1' in /dev. This will make your new devices drivers, then point
some symlinks to them, making all your sound apps work happily.
Yes, that IS a 'snd1'. 'snd0' will not hook up right, as seen below by the
error messages.

Finally, plop your Dire Straits/Steppenwolf/Rolling Stones mp3's into a
directory somewhere, run your favorite amp, and just go nuts. Might I also
suggest 'wmmixer' for WindowMaker, it works like total candy.

Hope this does some good. If you have any questions, mail me. It might
take a while to get to, but I'll get to it if you can 'ATTN: Cory' in the
subject header.

Cory Ringdahl

PS: I do notice that the newly booted kernel detects the sound card and
the configuration, somehow, seperately. It gives first:

CSN 1 Vendor ID <hex addresses, sector labels, etc>

then gives:

pcm1 (SB16pnp <SB16 pnp> sn [serial number) <insert above drq/irq/flags
from above>

Ignore this.

Also, expect a:

pcm0 not probed due to drq conflict with pcm1 at 1

Ignore this, too.

PPS: If anyone out there knows WHY the above error messages come up,
and/or if there's a smoother way to do things, lemme know. It's not
pleasing to the eye, work though it does.