Date:      Thu, 02 Oct 2008 13:38:06 +0400
From:      Vladimir Grebenschikov <vova@fbsd.ru>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org, Clemens Ladisch <clemens@ladisch.de>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ALSA support for linuxator - any ideas / progress ?

On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 11:12 +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting "Clemens Ladisch" <clemens@ladisch.de> (from Thu, 02 Oct 2008
> 10:41:11 +0200):
>
> > Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> >> Quoting "Vladimir Grebenschikov" <vova@fbsd.ru> (from Wed, 01 Oct 2008
> >> 14:08:08 +0400):
> >>
> >> AFAIK there's no such thing on Linux.
> >
> > The alsa-plugins package contains an OSS backend for libasound.  See
> > <http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-plugins.git;a=blob;f=doc/README-pcm-oss;hb=HEAD>.
>
> Sounds very interesting. Any RPMs for this (Fedora 4 or Fedora 8
> based)? It may also be interesting to make a native port for this (to
> get some ALSA-only apps portable to FreeBSD)...

Thanks Clemens,
I was able to make aplay to play sound on FreeBSD installation.

need to install
alsa-lib-1.0.15-1.fc8.i386.rpm (minor library upgrade to match
oss-plugin)
alsa-plugins-oss-1.0.15-3.fc8.1.i386.rpm
alsa-utils-1.0.15-1.fc8.i386.rpm (for aplay)

and then provide default pcm configuration
# cat /compat/linux/etc/asound.conf
pcm.!default "oss"

pcm.oss {
     type oss
     device /dev/dsp
}
#

After that some simple wav's can be played:

$ /compat/linux/usr/bin/aplay /usr/local/share/apps/sim/sounds/message.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/local/share/apps/sim/sounds/message.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono
$

Unfortunately flash9 plug-in is still silent, but it not shows more any
error messages.

Probably it is due to:
--- README-pcm-oss ---
The function supported by this plugin is limited.  For example, you
cannot use dmix together with this plugin.  Don't expect too much :)

Probably it worth to try play sound with flash9 player through this
plug-in on plain Linux.

--
Vladimir B. Grebenschikov
vova@fbsd.ru