Date:      Wed, 02 Jan 2002 12:59:54 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Greg Lane <gregory.lane@anu.edu.au>, ertr1013@student.uu.se, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pathetic 11 kbytes/s with ed driver (Netgear EA201)

> Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 12:33:39 -0600
> From: David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>

> > > If thats the case then there is no point in proceeding. Unless you are
> > > connecting two machines direct without hub.
> >
> > I don't understand your point. I just changed the card to half-duplex
> > with the Netgear DOS program and everything works great now:
>
> OK, I abreviated my thoughts too much when writing. If you have a hub
> then there is no point in investigating futher because you have to run
> half duplex on the hub. But if you are connecting only one machine to
> another (point to point, crossed cable or thin ethernet, no hub or
> switch) then you can run full duplex but might have to run full duplex
> on both.

Not really. Point-to-point on thin Ethernet (10Base2) is half-duplex
only. All signaling shares a common path and full duplex depends on
being able to transmit while receiving. It normally requires:
1. Direct connection via cross-over cable
2. Direct connection via point2point cable to a switch

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)