Date:      Wed, 7 May 1997 11:05:22 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        sos@sos.freebsd.dk (Søren Schmidt)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, rhh@ct.picker.com, msmith@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2 Splashkit

> > >   - A MSW95 LOGO.SYS converter for lifting cool pre-built splash pages
> > >     of the net and flipping them into FreeBSD :-) (Slap me, I'm dream
> > >     ing :-)
> > I'm sure they're just BMP images slapped on the back of an executable...
>
> They are just BMP files with another name :)
>
> sos> file logo.sys
> logo.sys: PC bitmap data, Windows 3.x format, 320 x 400 x 8
> sos>

They have a seperate pallette channel for the color-cycle animation,
so they are not simple bitmaps.  I have editted a number of these
on Win95 for various editorial comments on MS products (if they
don't want people seeing these comments, they only have to make
their OS's more robust).

You can not use a standard bitmap editor because it collapses the
color pallette.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org