Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 2002 02:43:34 -0600 (MDT)
From:      bsd@xtremedev.com
To:        karl agee <kdagee@attglobal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: my ports got wiped out!

> I just installed 4.6-release, with ports and all, installed cvsup, with a new
> supfile (below) and ran it.
>
> It deleted all of my ports!!!!  how did THAT happen???
>
> (I thought you were supposed to put **delete** in the default-release line so
> it could get rid of the crud it didnt need....)
>
> --karl
>
> *default host=cvsup8.Freebsd.org
> *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default release=cvs
> *default tag=RELENG_4
> *default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
>
> #src-all
> ports-all
> #docs-all

From http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html:

Warning: Be very careful to specify any tag= fields correctly. Some tags
are valid only for certain collections of files. If you specify an
incorrect or misspelled tag, CVSup will delete files which you probably do
not want deleted. In particular, use only tag=. for the ports-* collections.

Ports don't have branches. So RELENG_4 means nothing to it. You either
have the latest ports, or you don't.