Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 06:02:51 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@nomad.mt.sri.com>
To:        Stephen Wynne <stevemw@northwest.com>
Cc:        "Nate Williams" <nate@sneezy.sri.com>, brian@awfulhak.org, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On-demand dynamic PPP not doing default route correctly

Stephen Wynne writes:
> In message <199803161021.DAA01019@nomad.mt.sri.com>, Nate Williams writes:
>
>     So, as root, I blow away the default route, and add a new one with the
>     correct 'remote' site.  Then, after a few minutes, the link 'dies'.  No
>     packets come in or go out.
>
> Nate,
>
> With a one year-old config, I had the same problem after cvsup'ing. I
> solved the problem by trial and error, and reading the sample files
> out of the new /usr/src/etc/ppp directory populated by cvsup.
>
> I found that you need to do what you're doing by hand in
> /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup with a twist. The new version of ppp
> *really* likes to have ppp.linkup now!

Apparently so.

> My normal configuration now looks like this (in the critical areas)
[ Contents removed ]

> Good luck!

Hmm, that seemed to do the 'routing' trick for sure.  *MUCH* better than
having to futz with the routing.  However, I don't know what's happening
with the link getting all balled up, since I'm not sure whose fault it
is.

Thanks alot for the routing information.  It's certainly made life
easier for me!

Nate