Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 2009 14:24:26 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Yoshihiro Ota <ota@j.email.ne.jp>
Cc:        Gleb Kurtsou <gleb.kurtsou@gmail.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, =?utf-8?b?w6jCo8K0w6XCm8K9w6XChcK0?= <pagxir@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: patch: let msdosfs(vfat)/ntfs to support UTF-8 locale well

Quoting Yoshihiro Ota <ota@j.email.ne.jp> (from Fri, 13 Feb 2009 =20
00:13:50 -0500):

> On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 20:34:40 +0200
> Gleb Kurtsou <gleb.kurtsou@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On (10/02/2009 17:12), =E8=A3=B4=E5=9B=BD=E5=85=B4 wrote:
>> > I write a patch to support UTF-8 locale well. I think it maybe help
>> > for some FreeBSD user.
>> > follow link is the patch (base on FreeBSD 7.1):
>> > =20
>> http://btload.googlegroups.com/web/msdosfs.patch?gda=3DMzIscT8AAABs_gmy4a=
1S9lRiXjEy-V5OpwtI67JnIGlz0zr18tjObOtoi5oIt3BJMRGeqGBbbj-ccyFKn-rNKC-d1pM_Id=
V0
>> > the full tar.bz2 package:
>> > =20
>> http://btload.googlegroups.com/web/msdosfs.tar.bz2?gda=3DIG1pBkEAAABs_gmy=
4a1S9lRiXjEy-V5OpwtI67JnIGlz0zr18tjObNLRc95Ps2S1UISaL0WhuitTCT_pCLcFTwcI3Sro=
5jAzlXFeCn-cdYleF-vtiGpWAA

>> > I also will patch for ntfs driver
>> > =20
>> http://btload.googlegroups.com/web/ntfs.patch?gda=3DOqsHoDwAAABs_gmy4a1S9=
lRiXjEy-V5O7RN7t-m4MjZ-5dQn_EvaqDVCWO9_HyYEQJyRQYPtRCL9Wm-ajmzVoAFUlE7c_fAt
>> > =20
>> http://btload.googlegroups.com/web/ntfs.tar.bz2?gda=3DzErXED4AAABs_gmy4a1=
S9lRiXjEy-V5O7RN7t-m4MjZ-5dQn_EvaqG3K0t6fVz8SMYStF_2dqCPjsKXVs-X7bdXZc5buSfm=

>> > The Chinese characters in the fat32 partition can be displayed =20
>> correctly now.
>> >
>> > when mount windows partitions, you should do like this:
>> > mount_ntfs -C UTF-8 /dev/ad?s? /path/to/mount
>> > mount_msdosfs -L zh_CN.UTF-8 /dev/ad?s? /path/to/mount
>>
>> I've also looked at it recently but my idea was to update kiconv to
>> handle ucs-2 (or whatever it is) -> utf-8 conversion in kernel. kiconv
>> supports different translation methods. Current implementation just
>> creates a table for ucs2->utf-8 conversion and passes it too kernel. It
>> seems it can't even handle all of unicode chars.
>> Fixing kiconv would be a better solution, imho.
>

> Some people attempted to improve kinconv and locale on filesystems.
> I only remember this one at this moment; =20
> http://people.freebsd.org/~imura/kiconv/
> This work was never merged into the tree excpet few bug fixes to =20
> other reasons.
> This was back in 5.x relases.  So, it doesn't apply cleanly these days.
>
> I also seens some people posted similar patches to the list in past years.
> However, none of them got any attentions to the project.
>
> I think we somehow have to get enough attensions of some (reasonable numbe=
> of people) FreeBSD committers to this.  Otherwise, people keep reinvening
> and posting patches to this topic.

Maybe someone could have a look if/what Apple did. Maybe they improved =20
the kiconv part which makes the use of it for what you are interested =20
in possible.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
To do two things at once is to do neither.
=09=09-- Publilius Syrus

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137