Date:      Tue, 07 Aug 2001 12:11:53 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        mrherndon <mrherndon@mail.ev1.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: broken install of X

On 07-Aug-01 mrherndon wrote:
> Hello...please be gentle with me...I am completely new to Free BSD
> I just bought it at the Fry's electronics in Houston.TX...It says
> it is version 4.2 Powerdesk if that makes it easier to know what
> version I have.
>
> I am really excited that I am going to learn Unix, since I have
> been messing around with different distros of Linux for about 10
> months...just took the plunge...anyway
>
> I got throught the install just fine....did the detailed
> install...answered all the questions added gnome...selected KDE
> for desktop...configured X (it looked good).

Sometimes X looks OK during install but won't start afterwards. While not being
an expert at this I usually get around it by fiddling with /etc/XF86Config and
the specs for my monitor. So if you have selected an unfortunate combination of
resolution and monitor horizontal and vertical frequency rates you can get this.

I'd edit the /etc/XF86Config and see what happens.

BTW. I never install X at the OS-install. If X fails then I will normally have
to do everything over again (and again, and again...)

/M