Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 14:22:23 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Crist Clark <crist.clark@globalstar.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Article in Information Security Magazine

Crist Clark wrote:

> The author, Pete Loshin, makes is sound as if a *BSD is the natural
> progression from using a Linux flavor. Thinking about it, I do notice
> a lot of people on *BSD mail lists who say they used to use Linux and
> now use a *BSD, but seldom hear the reverse (with the exception of people
> who have to use Linux at work for some reason or another).

There shouldn't be much wondering about this. Linux is more popular than
BSD. Someone new to Unix is naturally going to start with Linux.
Everyone talks about it, you can find it easier on the store shelves,
etc. Then once they learn the basics of Unix, some of them "progress" on
to BSD. If BSD were more popular than Linux, then I suspect that you be
seeing the reverse.

Back when I started with freenix and PC unices, I had a Walnut Creek
magazine. I saw the adverts for Slackware '96 and FreeBSD and
4.4BSD-Lite. At the time, the BSD's did not sound newbie friendly,
particularly 4.4BSD-Lite, so I stayed away from them and tried
Slackware. Hey, at least I didn't start with Redhat!

David