Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2018 10:56:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: xstr, mkstr

> On Tue, Jul 3, 2018, 11:41 AM Rodney W. Grimes <
> freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.cn85.dnsmgr.net> wrote:
>
> > [ Charset UTF-8 unsupported, converting... ]

> > compiler.
> > 90s.

> > > Agreed, these tools are quite obscure and I don't think _FreeBSD_ has
> > ever
> > > used them.
> >
> > I thought someone already pointed out places in the src tree
> > that had references to them, though they may
> >

> You removed the SHAREDSTRINGS support in r3493 back in 1994. It's been
> unused since then. There are comments that suggest it never worked in
> FreeBSD, but that may be 2.0 and newer only.

Removed it, not commented it out.  Someone else on this thread made
statement that stuff is refering to these tools, that could not been
what I removed in r3493.

I do see that some of what I removed in r3493 is now back as bmake
has moved to contrib/ and these strings are now there:
./contrib/bmake/mk/prog.mk:.if defined(SHAREDSTRINGS)
./contrib/bmake/mk/README:SHAREDSTRINGS If defined, a new .c.o rule is used that results in shared

Those are parts that I totally removed from
share/mk/{bsd.README,bsd.prog.mk} in r3493.

The only note I see about "never worked" is that prog.mk stuff
is suppose to have issues with Parallel make, thats in the
contrib/bmake/mk/README.  Where do you have a reference to
never worked in FreeBSD?