Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 2003 00:31:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      dillon ross <casp_semper@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help, i'm a newbie

that didn't seem to help much or i'm doing something terribly wrong. i did try to reconfigure x-server and went to xdesktop to choose default desktop (no other config opts.). when i run startx i get blank screen akin. typing afterstep at the command prompt gives the error msg. "can't open display.". i'm doing all of this on my laptop, with silicon motion graphics lynx em+ graphics card. is there a min on the video ram that kde or any such need to operate?
pulling out what little hair i have.
newbie

peter lageotakes <plageotakes@yahoo.com> wrote:
Have you configured X-Server? If not try this as
root,

/stand/sysinstall

Select post config install.
Select Xfree server (roughly). Sorry I am stuck on
w2k now.

You should now have 3 or 4 ways to configure your
X-server. I typically use the ncruses style
installer. I believe that is the 2nd one down on the
list. It works just like the freebsd installer.

After you configure your xserver, then you should
configure your desktop (same menu as xserver). Once
that is done you should have a happy GUI environment.
The desktop that you configure will be your starting
GUI once you type startx.

FYI: Check out the errata for FreeBSD. You cannot
install both KDE and Gnome because they use a
different version of LDAP. Listed below is the link to
FreeBSD's errata.

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.9R/errata.html

Hope this helps,
Pete