Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2001 06:30:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/10411: top, vmstat, iostat show 0% cpu idle & usage on SMP system

The following reply was made to PR kern/10411; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, bob@pmr.com
Subject: Re: kern/10411: top, vmstat, iostat show 0% cpu idle & usage
 on SMP system
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 06:28:00 -0700

 I believe I've managed to resolve my occurrences of the problem.
 Before I go on I should say that my P120 is a uniprocessor system.  The
 measures I mentioned in my last followup to this PR did mitigate the
 problem to a certain degree, making it occur less frequently, also
 "fixing" itself after a couple of hours, only to reoccur later.

 To resolve the problem I replaced a RealTek NE2000 compatible PCI NIC
 card with a Linksys LNE2000 compatible ISA NIC card.  The reason for
 the change, was that when the problem started occurring, the only
 things that had changed were the replacement of the ISA NIC card with
 the PCI NIC card and a cvsup/buildworld/installworld to the latest
 4.3-BETA.  As FreeBSD has been in a change freeze for a while now,
 looking for changes that could have caused this was relatively easy,
 pointing me in the direction of the NIC card.  The problem hasn't
 reoccurred 20 hours.

 If I may surmise, though it appears that the RealTek NE2000 PCI NIC is
 the culprit, it may be that the ed(4) driver's PCI support may have had
 something to do with this, or timing on the PCI bus.

 Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
 Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
 Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
 Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
 Province of BC