Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2014 11:37:57 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD FFS SU+J is not stable

> Running 10.0-RELEASE, it is the second time I have a power failure and
> bad shutdown. It's also the second time I get a fsck failure. This
> time fsck has even segfault'ed.

> I think I will switch to ZFS.

> This is the log of the next boot up : http://imgur.com/rRpREKP

> Is it possible to automatically run fsck manually after this kind of failures?

> Regards,

> Demelier David

It helps to run fsck from another disk such as a USB drive.  I once was successful running fsck on a FreeBSD file system using a USB-stick installation of NetBSD.  This was after NetBSD crashed with unclean shutdown.

But you could do this probably at least as well using a USB installation of FreeBSD, need not have fancy stuff such as X, multimedia, etc.

With OS/2, and my memory dates back to the 1990s to April 2001, it was necessary to boot from installation floppies in maintenance mode to run CHKDSK /f on drive where OS/2 was installed.

But some time during the single-digit days of April 2001, CHKDSK, running automatically after a crash, not due to power outage, ran amok and trashed my installation and other hard-drive partitions too.  Then I was never again able to boot OS/2 Warp in any way, always got Trap 000e or Trap 000c.

I have NetBSD src and pkgsrc trees on same partition used for a FreeBSD installation, and that creates a hazard with NetBSD less stable than FreeBSD.

But surely it would be good to buy a UPS, as I do, so you can shutdown gracefully instead of all-of-a-sudden.

Tom