Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 1995 12:14:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        dennis@et.htp.com (dennis)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a router

> >>   The bottleneck certainly can't be in the CPU can it?  Where is the
> >> bottleneck with PCI and a good 486 motherboard?
> >
> >The bottleneck is that you have to wait for full frame reception
> >before you get an interrupt to tell you to go look at the header
> >to decide what to do with the packet.
> >
> >In dedicated router hardware they use the trick of interrupting
> >the CPU after N bytes have been recieved (N is programmable) so
> >they can actually decide what to do with the packet before it is
> >even completly received.
> >

> This is not necessary to get good throughput, although it wouldn't hurt. You
> can still get 5mbs without this, which is plenty.

Not when you start looking at 100MB/sec ethernet it isn't!!!  Sure 400 to 500
KByte/sec for 10MB/sec ethernet routing is just fine by me, but as soon as
I reproduce the numbers for 100MB/sec routing you will see what I mean
about we need to make some improvements.

We need to get that routing performance into the 50MB/sec range and we are
not even close.  (I seem to recall about 20MB/sec, but am not sure right
now, too many numbers floating around in my head).