Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 12:21:42 -0600 (CST)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        keithl@wakko.gil.net (Keith Leonard)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Commercial Applications??

Keith Leonard writes:
> Howdy,
>
> Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, Greg.

No, I didn't take it that way at all.

> First your book is a great addition to my library.

Thanks.

> How about:
>
> A free implementation of the Famous BSD Unix (including X-windows) for
> IBMs and compatables.

It doesn't tell the casual passer-by anything.

>> including 'X-windows' only for the uninitiated who will be drawn to a
> windows environment from Windoze]
>
> This would have caught my attention and wouldn't imply a 'johnny come
> lately' product.
>
> You guys have worked too hard to imply you are trying to cash in on the
> free unix craze. Be proud of what you have done and don't try to tie
> yourself in with the Linux group.
>
> BTW - I run FreeBSD almost exclusively and am really thinking about
> switching my other machine to it (still testing though)
>
> should I get out my asbestos BVDs??

No, take what's coming to you like a man :-)

I think we need to analyse what we're trying to do here.  Whatever our
opinion of the relative merits of Linux, FreeBSD and other systems may
be, when we try to catch somebody's attention, we use things that will
catch his eye, not ours.  That was our reason for referring to Linux
(in fact, Jack Velte, then of Walnut Creek, wanted to put something
much more inflammatory in there, and I suggested this one).  The fact
is that many of our target "market" know about Linux and don't know
about FreeBSD.  I thought that the way we put it was completely
neutral (so as not to offend militant Linuxists) without implying that
FreeBSD was no better, or even worse, than Linux (so as not to offend
militant FreeBSD-ists).  Sure, people who know both OSs don't need
this comparison, but that's neither here nor there.

Greg