Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 1999 23:59:11 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Suresh Rajagopalan <sraja@cinenet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP freezes on 3.2-STABLE

> I've been trying to track down continual freezes on 3 servers running
> 3.2-STABLE.
>
> The machines are very busy web servers and simply freeze randomly after
> 2-5 days of uptime.   There is no response from the console at
> the point of freeze.  I cannot get it to dump core either.

This makes it very hard to debug.  You might want to try generating a
hardware NMI by shorting the relevant pins on the ISA bus (look for
postings from Rod Grimes about using a paperclip for this, or use a
POST card).

> I don't know if this is a problem with 3.x in general, and I have read
> about larger sites like yahoo running smp-stable.  If some of you are
> running SMP in a busy web/nfs enviroment, I'd love to hear from you.

This is not a typical symptom for problems, but there are a few ways
that your systems could become so tied up they won't respond to the
keyboard to pull them into the debugger.  Typically these issues are
related to hardware interaction, and it's usually hardware doing
something unexpected that's the problem.

We'll need more input before we can offer you any real help, I'm sorry.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org