Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 1997 21:59:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        amora@zoom.es
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MFS related questions

Jesus A. Mora Marin said:

> I'd like to have MFS support configured in my custom kernel, partly
> for improving compilation times and partly just for fun. But I have
> some doubts about how MFS works in FreeBSD.

MFS performs very well in FreeBSD.  Paging only happens when the
files on the MFS filesystem get too big.  There is a signficant
design flaw that the buffer cache is synced into the MFS server,
but that really doesn't have a severe performance hit. I plan
to work on MFS in V3.1, but it isn't going to gain that much,
because it isn't that bad to begin with.  (That is the reason
that I am not working on it now.)

dyson@freebsd.org     | it just makes you look stupid, and
jdyson@nc.com         | it irritates the pig.