Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 12:50:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        greg@uswest.net (Greg Rowe)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Qpopper 2.2

> Greetings,
>
>  I'm trying to get the bulletin database(BULLDB) feature in qpopper-2.2
> working. I'm using the 2.1.5 ports version and adding the -DBULLDB entry in the
> Makefile.
> The pop_bull.c file seems to be missing an include ( <sys/fcntl.h> ), but other
> than that it compiles without error.
>
>  The instructions call for you to create two empty files (bulldb.pag &
> bulldb.dir) in the bulletin directory which I did. The first attempt to
> retrieve a mail bulletin works fine but creates a zero length 'bulldb.db' file.
> Further attempts to check mail fail with the error "Unable to open Bulletin
> database".
> Permissions don't seem to be the problem. Has anyone used this feature on
> FreeBSD or does anyone have any ideas ? Thanks.

Your _problem_ is that you are using Berkeley DB - not DBM - and B-DB does
not use .pag and .dir files...  the instructions aren't helpful for you.  :-)

If memory serves, there may be a few semantic differences in the C language
interface.  I think I ran into something similar once when porting a bit
of code...  I believe, if my flaky memory serves, that there was an argument
mismatch of some sort.

Sorry that's all I can tell you,

... JG