Date:      Tue, 09 Sep 2008 16:00:57 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        "Linda Messerschmidt" <linda.messerschmidt@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Local patches to ports?

"Linda Messerschmidt" <linda.messerschmidt@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
> We use Apache 1.3 on FreeBSD and for a long time, we have maintained our own
> build process separate from the ports collection because we have some local
> patches.
>
> These are accounting patches, of interest to no one but us, so I have no
> chance of getting anyone upstream to ever adopt them, but they are very
> important to us.
>
> After our last upgrade to 7-STABLE (7.1-PRERELEASE) our local build process
> started producing broken binaries but the port has patches and one of them
> makes it work.  So, this seems like a good time to replace our build process
> with the ports collection.
>
> What's the best way to preserve our local patches and our custom
> configuration flags, and get them to apply to each new update of the port?

You can drop patches into the "files" subdirectory of the port, and
they will get applied when the port is built.  They will not get
overwritten by cvsup or csup.  I believe that in most usages portsnap
won't touch them anyway.

There are two ways to handle the configuration flags.  One is to make
up patches that modify the makefile (or configure script, or
auto-whatever script, etc.).  The other is to put in a Makefile.local
in the directory, which will get included by the ports makefiles.  The
latter is usually easier.

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/