Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 1996 20:00:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sujal Patel <smpatel@umiacs.umd.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>, multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: snd into -current

[ cc to -current dropped ]

On Mon, 5 Aug 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Is this the new sound code with the GPL license, or the old sound code
> with the more lenient license?
>
> There was a big discussion on the license change, and the consensus
> seemed to be to not update the code, since a GPL code in the kernel
> makes the kernel non-distributable because of the conflicts between
> the GPL "no additional conditions" clause and the BSD "give credit"
> clause.

I had a discussion about the sound driver with -core about two months ago,
and it was decided that we would import the GPL driver.  The stipulation
is that the sound driver must be fully contained in a loadable module.

I don't like GPL any more then the next guy, but we simply don't have the
person-power maintain the sound driver if we import USS-Lite.  I have
begun the work to get the latest version of USS-Lite into -current (and I
hope to have this done soon, I have some free time again).

Sujal