Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 17:49:37 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Dave Leimbach <dleimbac@MPI-Softtech.Com>
Cc:        dleimbac@earthlink.net, wes@softweyr.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gettimeofday Again...

On Tue, 15 May 2001, Dave Leimbach wrote:

> I think SMP is a way more important topic so long as gettimeofday doesn't get
> called in thread context switches :)..  This was mentioned before and the

gettimeofday() (actually the internal kernel part of it) certainly does get
called in thread context switches.  This has a fairly small impact on
context switching time.  According to lmbench2 for 2 tiny  processes (see
my previous mail for some details on the machine):

Linux 2.2.9               1 usec
Linux 2.4.0.something     1 usec
FreeBSD-4.0.something     1 usec
FreeBSD-current           2 usec

microtime() in the context switch takes about 0.4 usec.  This accounts
for about half of the pessimizations in SMPng according to the above
measurements.  But this may misleading since most of the times in the above
are rounded to the nearest usec.

Bruce