Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2000 15:14:25 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dangerously Dedicated

In message <3A18304B.689C2CFE@glue.umd.edu> Brandon Fosdick writes:
: Using what I consider to be a artifact of another operating system
: on a machine that doesn't use that OS seems silly to me. Unless, of
: course, that artifact has some useful feature(s) or
: functionality. If it does, I'm all ears.

But it isn't an artifact of another OS.  It is an artifact of the
BIOS.

: I'm a little confused here. Why are slices demanded by the Intel
: arhictecture?

The BIOS demands that they are there.  At least some modern BIOSes
don't do well when they aren't there.

It is the PC-AT architecture to be more specific.

: We've been successfully using DD mode for years now, if slices are "demanded"
: what kind of voodoo have we been using?

The problem is the bogus MBR that the DD writes confuses some BIOSes
and causes your disks to be non-bootable.

: Is there some way or ways in which the 4-slot table is superior to DD-mode?

The 4 slot table already is there in DD mode.  It just happens to
contain completely bogus data.

: You mentioned not having enough space for boot0. Why can't we just change
: DD-mode to have space for boot0?

Sure, you can do that by putting a proper MBR on the disk :-).  The
whole problem comes in with the bogus MBR that DD puts on the disk.

Warner