Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2018 16:12:07 +0200
From:      Piotr Kubaj <pkubaj@anongoth.pl>
To:        CL Moonriver <clmoonriver@equinedreams.art>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X11 not working on 11-STABLE with AMDGPU

--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3

Hm, ok, I may have not been clear with my problem.

Xorg DID work before. It certainly won't accept radeon driver - it's RX560.=
 I certainly had working Xorg about two weeks ago. Then after a reboot, boo=
m, no more graphics.

So my configuration is right.

Even though I don't need the whole xorg.conf, I need xorg.conf.d directory =
with a snippet that forces GPU to use to use amdgpu X11 driver - otherwise =
it tries to use modesetting.

On 18-08-01 08:46:05, CL Moonriver wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I had some trouble getting X to work with my AMD GPU, but I finally did
>get it working. Here is what ultimately worked for me:
>
>* Make sure you are loading the driver in /etc/rc.conf, not in
>/boot/loader.conf. The driver won't work if loaded from loader.conf
>
>* Depending on how old your AMD GPU is, you might need the radeon driver
>instead of the amdgpu driver. When the amdgpu driver didn't work for me,
>I tried radeonkms.ko and it does work.
>
>* You shouldn't need an xorg.conf file=C2=A0 or anything in xorg.conf.d at
>all. Everything should just work if you load the correct kernel module.
>In fact, if you have xorg configuration files that are trying to load
>display drivers or screens, that might be causing problems. I'm not
>using any xorg.conf or xorg.conf.d files at all. When I was using them,
>X would not start.
>
>Hopefully, these tips help with your problem.
>

>On 8/1/18 4:28 AM, Piotr Kubaj via freebsd-stable wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I use FreeBSD 11.2-STABLE (from 23.07). After recent updates, I am unabl=
e to start X11 (Xorg.0.log is attached). I have rebuilt drm-next-kmod and X=
org-related ports. Xorg fails to start both with amdgpu kernel driver with =
amdgpu Xorg driver and without amdgpu kerner driver (vesa is then used).

>> When using amdgpu, the X process starts (even though there's no display)=
, but it looks like zombie - only reboot is able to kill it.

>> Was there some regression recently?
>>

>--=20
>believed to be clean.

--=20