Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 11:55:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>, Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS thoughts

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, spork wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Bernd Walter wrote:
>
> > I saw the same on my private hosts.
> > Everythings the same to your case instead that I have a 100MBit FreeBSD Router
> > between them. All lines are running Full-Duplex Point-to-Point.
> > In my case I have a syslogentry telling me about a server down under some load
> > and it took minutes till it says that the server is up again.
> > It happend when using NFS3/TCP at this moment I'm using NFS2/UDP and it won't
> > hang.
>
> Ditto.  Two machines back-to-back 100Mbit full duplex.  Private NFS
> network.  Migrating from 3/tcp to 2/udp seems to help alot.
>
> Can anyone else help confirm that in general 2/udp is the most dependable
> way to run if you're not traversing anything slower than 100Mb?
>
> I also haven't seen the "I've mounted soft and intr, yet things still
> hang" behaviour using version 2 and udp.  Any consensus on that?

why would you mount _both_ soft and intr? to me they seem mutually
exclusive.

'intr' allows you to intrupt a hung NFS proc so that it recives a
transient error on a filesystem call, the process will hang forever unless
NFS comes back, or you ^C it

'soft' automates that with a timeout however signals won't work, but after
some time the process will unhang and get an error on the filesystem call.

Are you trying to get an auto-timeout like mount with that ability to ^C?

generally intr is best, the idea of many processes timeing out on NFS
mounts should the server crash, makes my stomach turn.

<rumor>
btw, didn't the FreeBSD project pay someone big bucks to fix some of these
problems?
</rumor>

-Alfred